Saturday, September 14, 2013

DESIGN // PROPERTY BROTHERS

Although I'm in love with the visual communications and graphic design aspect of creative industry... I have to say I have a soft spot for interior design as well. I am a HGTV junkie! Every time you turn my TV on... channel 202 is there, ready for me to get sucked in. I still have a while until I buy my dream home...possibly a renovation project, but it doesn't hurt to start getting ideas now! If you guys have not watched Property Brothers yet... you best get on it immediately! They buy homes at a price below your budget, then use the left over money to completely renovate the home into your dream look. It also gives you a lot of insight into the real estate industry and not to be terrified of something that's not move-in-ready! Derek shows them homes that he knows have great potential and where he can get the great price. Then, It's so fun to watch skeptical people get blown away by Jonathon's, the contractor, designs. 

Here's some before and afters to get you homely inspired. Although they're renovations...take some inspiration to update your own home now! 


Before: Uncompleted renovations prior to purchase and definitely outdated
After: A new, updated yet rustic-feeling kitchen

 Before: 1970's wood paneled entry way
After: Modern, rich entry way

 Before: Once used as a master bedroom with gaudy green panels
After: Soft, feminine living space

Before: 1980's pink tiling and outdated fixtures
After: Modern, sleek bathroom with updated fixtures

A touch of your own personality in a space can really make a difference and make it feel home to you. Most of the time, cosmetic changes, such as, updated fixtures, paint color, art work, and tying the design together, are really all that needs to be done. If the house is extremely old, that is when you normally run into structural issues so hire a GREAT contractor and work with a budget that has some wiggle room if your home was built quite some time ago. 

What did you guys think? Did I get you to watch an episode? Leave me comments, I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...